Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Life & Death - A Matter of Fact

I recall seeing a news report on television just two days back. It was on some disaster that struck the Philippines, leaving many homeless and in turmoil. For those who are unaware, I sometimes shed a tear or two when I see such telecasts, maybe I'm emotional, but I choose to call myself humane. OR compassionate for that matter.

There was this woman on TV, who looked calm and "media-prepped". She was speaking coherently, with no signs of anguish, fear, sadness or any sort of emotion on her face. In fact, she was just like any other interviewee for a street interview asking about TV ratings, or whether they like a product.

But her case was drastically different from those surveyed on the streets. She is one of the survivors of one of the worst storms Philippines have seen in recent years. I remember what she said very clearly, even though it was subtitled from her original Tagalog speech.

"I was walking back when I realised my sister was crying. My elder son has just died in the storm, and she was trying to rescue my second child who was buried in the mud."

She said that, in one whole coherent passage, almost like she was reciting some speech or key message. It was heart wrenching, because somehow I felt that she was calm because she is numb, and not because she didn't care.

My friend suggested that she has more or less seen through ups and downs of life, and the loss of a child is yet another "unfortunate" event only, and life still goes on. I felt totally crushed. Imagine if I were to lose a child, not that I may could and would have any, I would totally feel that life is not worth living on, and be derailed, and not speaking like it's a matter of fact.

I sincerely pray for the wellbeing of all who suffered losses in one way or another in the recent spate of disasters in Asia. Maybe God is trying to tell us something?

Peace out. God Bless!

1 comment:

yunz said...

maybe its times like that that we start rethinking about ourselves and start to appreciate people ard us more, cz u nv know when such things will happen, and e nx moment, u find urself crying over that precious someone whom u nv thought you would lose but is gone.

STAR HIGHLIGHTS - Beautiful Bali

Bookmark and Share